State PTA Role, Communications, Office
The California State PTA is a branch of the National PTA and is responsible for for implementing the Purposes of PTA in California. It works for the well-being of children and youth on tasks beyond the scope and resources of unit, council and district PTAs working separately.
In its relation to unit, council, and district PTAs, California State PTA:
- Serves as a liaison with the National PTA;
- Represents PTA through participation in statewide meetings and conferences of allied groups, agencies, and coalitions having goals similar to PTA;
- Provides leadership training through the annual convention meeting, field services and workshops;
- Provides services, materials, and publications;
- Supports and works for legislation on statewide issues that affect the education, health, and well-being of children and youth; and
- Serves as a clearinghouse for PTA information and as a coordinating agency for PTA work in the state.
LINES OF COMMUNICATION
Proposals for action and other communications to the California State PTA Board of Managers from a unit or its board or executive committee shall first be presented to the council (if in council) and district PTA for consideration. The decision of the district PTA with the explanation of its action must be reported in writing to the unit. If the district PTA endorses the proposal, it is forwarded to the California State PTA Board of Managers with indications of its endorsement.
When the proposal or other communication does not receive the endorsement of the district PTA and the unit (after reconsideration) still wishes to have it presented to the California State PTA Board of Managers, the district PTA president must forward the proposal to the board.
Unit, council, or district PTAs forwarding proposals or other communications are asked to include study materials or a report of the considerations that led to the requests and to forward immediately copies of any subsequent intra-organizational communications in support of their proposal.
Under the direction of the California State PTA Board of Directors, the office administrator and a few employees maintain the inventory of publications, emblems, and supplies; fill orders and package materials for distribution; prepare lists for and process all print and electronic mailings including PTA in California and other communications; keep financial and membership records; conduct correspondence and compile records for the HSA program, grants and scholarships; maintain a PTA reference library and store documents; and reproduce materials for California State PTA officers and commissioners.
The state office has workspace for use by volunteer California State PTA board members and conference rooms for meetings of California State PTA committees.