Student Board Member
Apply To Be A Student Board Member On The
California State PTA!
For over half a century, the California State PTA has invited students to serve on its Board of Managers to accomplish common goals and support the California State PTA's mission.
Do you enjoy volunteering and collaborating with people?
Do you see yourself as a voice for students?
You are invited to join!
Students gain the opportunity to collaborate with adults in a volunteer organization--gaining lifelong skills.
Students can participate on many committees and commissions:
- Programs and Member Services
- Community Concerns
- Parent Involvement
Student board members must be at least 16 years of age by the beginning of their term (July 1st); the maximum age is 21.
The student board member position is a one-year term. Students may re-apply for additional terms, as long as the qualifications are met.
If you wish to apply, complete the application form, and you and your parents must sign the release form.
In addition, please supply the following letters of recommendation from the following people:
- a counselor, school administer or teacher with knowledge of your involvement, abilities, and achievements at school;
- The PTA/PTSA unit president where you are a member.
- An individual with knowledge of your abilities and achievements, specifically achievements in the business community, volunteer involvement or religious affiliation activities.
Please also supply a letter from your principal or school district, if in high school, authorizing release time from class and school assignments.
You also must conduct an interview with your district president, who will also fill out a recommendation form.
All of this information must be in the California State PTA office by the March 15th deadline (postmarks not accepted).
Being a student board member on the California State PTA is an exciting volunteer opportunity that will allow you to offer a significant contribution to the organization, introduce you to many life-long skills, and enhance any college or employment résumé.
If you are interested in applying, please let your district PTA president know, and he/she will be able to assist you.
GUIDELINES FOR SERVING AS A STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE ON THE CALIFORNIA STATE PTA BOARD OF MANAGERS
The California State PTA Board of Managers is composed of elected officers, parliamentarian, director of legislation, immediate past president, chairmen of standing committees, commissioners, legislation advocates, consultants, district presidents, specialists and all National PTA board members residing in California. Student board members serve a one-year term on the California State PTA Board of Managers.
- You must be a member of a PTA/PTSA in California. You should be familiar with the Purposes of the PTA, the Mission Statement of the California State PTA and basic information.
- 2You should recognize that the work of the California State PTA Board of Managers is quite different from that of a unit PTA/PTSA. You should understand the amount of time and type of involvement required as a member of the California State PTA Board of Managers.
Student Involvement on the California State PTA Board of Managers
As a student board member of the California State PTA Board of Managers, you are expected to participate in all board business and activities and be a full participating member of the state board. You can play a valuable role by:
- Sharing student perspectives with adults who work on behalf of young people;/li>
- Providing student views on current issues and concerns;/li>
- Accepting commission and committee assignments (e.g., writing articles, helping to prepare materials) and following through in a timely manner;/li>
- Helping other young people to understand the operation and the structure of a large, statewide, nonprofit organization; and/li>
- Informing students at the unit level of the goals and activities of the California State PTA
The California State PTA Board of Managers meets in July, October, January, February/March and April/May. Due to hotel and conference availability, the days of the week sometimes vary. You could be asked to attend additional meetings outside of the Board of Managers meetings in conjunction with committees/task forces involvement. You are expected to attend all meetings of commissions and committees to which you are assigned.
Members of the California State PTA Board of Managers are reimbursed for expenses for all Board of Managers meetings. Hotel accommodations are paid directly by the California State PTA.
Members of the California State PTA Board of Managers are reimbursed for expenses for all Board of Managers meetings. Hotel accommodations are paid directly by the California State PTA. Reimbursable expenses include:
- Transportation to/from the meetings by, train, air and shuttle service
- Meals (a per diem).
Expenses are paid before the meeting by submitting a "Request for Advance" form to the California State PTA office with documentation to be provided after actual expenditures of the advanced funds, or following the meeting by submitting as "Expense Statement" form to the California State PTA, Attn: Cindy McCain with attached receipts and documentation.
You must feel comfortable in interactions with adults. It may be necessary for you to share a hotel room with an adult board member.