The California State PTA special needs committee shall advance education about and support of the concerns of those students with special needs, along with resources and information within the membership and leadership of the association.
The committee shall take into consideration the California State PTA purposes, mission statement and position statements, and the PTA National Standards for Family-School Partnerships.
Special needs encompass physical or mental impairments that substantially limit one or more major life activities, including but not limited to physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental retardation, ADHD, autism, or emotional disorders.
The term also includes the special issues faced by gifted children.
The committee may
1. develop or compile information to be provided by the California State PTA to parents, teachers, and caregivers of children with special needs, so that they can help children maximize their potential;
2. develop or compile information to be provided by the California State PTA to parents, teachers and community members about children with special needs, so that they can understand and support all children;
3. develop or compile information to be provided by the California State PTA to help all children understand and appreciate challenges faced by children with special needs;
4. provide input to and support legislation to secure and retain adequate laws and funding for children with special needs;
5. collaborate and promote understanding and support of those with special needs within the entire association;
6. provide assistance to districts in organizing PTA special needs committees or to districts in chartering special needs PTA units, emphasizing a collaborative approach in working with school districts to most effectively help children with special needs;
7. plan and provide convention workshops that focus on special needs issues;
8. collaborate with other special needs organizations and provide representation on state and federal government committees on special needs;
9. promote Reflections program opportunities for special needs children; and
10. collaborate with the National PTA special needs committee.
Special Education - Specialized Programs - Information and resources to serve the unique needs of persons with disabilities so that each person will meet or exceed high standards of achievement.
Services & Resources - Special Education Programs and services available to students with disabilities, publications, training and technicalassistance opportunities, and recruitment resources.
Data Collection & Reporting - Special Education Searchable databases and software for reporting and retrieving special education related information.
Special Education Resources - Services & Resources ... Links to sites related to Special Education national and state laws, regulations.
Family Involvement & Partnerships - Special Education Resources and support for parents, guardians, and families of children with disabilities.
Laws, Regulations, & Policies - Special Education Federal and state legislation, laws, regulations, policies, legal advisories, and guidance.
Advisory Commission on Special Education (ACSE) - Administration. Authorized by Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), 20 United States Code Section 1412 (a)(21); California Education Code.
Gifted & Talented Education - Specialized Programs Information and resources related to implementation of Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) programs.Resource Guide - [MS WORD] - Gifted & Talented Education.