CALIFORNIA STATE PTA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Continuing Education Scholarships – PTA Volunteers
*NEW DUE DATE* - October 15
Purpose – California State PTA offers scholarships ($500) to encourage PTA members to continue their education and pursue studies in higher education in California.
The Continuing Education Scholarship Program recognizes volunteer service by providing funds for PTA members to register for courses at accredited colleges, universities, trade or technical schools in the State.
Eligibility – For the Continuing Education Scholarship for PTA Volunteers, successful applicants meet the following criteria:
- Given 3 years' volunteer service to PTA
- Plan to continue providing volunteer services to PTA
- Current member of PTA unit in good standing
- Scholarship used for advanced studies at accredited colleges, universities, trade or technical schools in California
- Scholarship utilized during the period January 1 to December 31 with courses completed by December 31 of year following award of scholarship
- Provide proof of enrollment and completion of coursework to California State PTA by June 1
- Completed application and reference forms with letters received by California State PTA by October 15.
Selection – Each year, the California State PTA Scholarship and Grant Committee carefully reads and vets each scholarship application. All applicants are notified of their status in January.
Continuing Education Scholarship winners receive a letter of congratulations and recognition certificate from California State PTA along with a check in January.
Application Tips – Before submitting your scholarship application packet to California State PTA, please remember to check that it includes:
- Completed application form and packet submitted by October 15.
- Copy of your current PTA membership card on 81/2" x 11" sheet of paper
- Descriptive essay (maximum 2 pages) outlining:
- Your PTA leadership responsibilities and volunteer services
- How course(s) specified in the application will improve your effectiveness as a PTA volunteer in working with children and youth
- Your involvement in school/ student extracurricular activities
- Two (2) completed reference forms and letters, written specifically for this application, which provide an evaluation of your abilities and characteristics as an applicant and comment on your personal and professional qualifications
- First reference – Written by your unit, council or district PTA president describing your PTA volunteer involvement
- Second reference – Written by a person unrelated to you and who you volunteered with in the past two years
Remember to ask that reference forms and letters be given to you in a sealed envelope for you to include in your scholarship application packet.
Questions? – Please contact the California Sate PTA Scholarship and Grant Chairman at: firstname.lastname@example.org