Parent Guides to the Common Core State Standards
COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
We don't know what tomorrow's jobs will be, but we know that our future depends on a strong workforce in which critical thinking and problem-solving skills can be applied in any context. That's the idea behind the Common Core State Standards; they are guidelines that will help schools focus on deeper, richer learning to prepare students for the 21st century workforce.
PARENTS' GUIDE TO STUDENT SUCCESS
Find out what your child will be learning, at each grade level, in Mathematics and English Language Arts with the new Common Core State Standards. You'll also learn more about how you can support your child's learning and other helpful information.
- Parent's Guide to Student Success (complete) [en Español]
- Kindergarten [en Español]
- 1st Grade [en Español]
- 2nd Grade [en Español]
- 3rd Grade [en Español]
- 4th Grade [en Español]
- 5th Grade [en Español]
- 6th Grade [en Español]
- 7th Grade [en Español]
- 8th Grade [en Español]
- High School Math [en Español]
- High School English [en Español]
NEW STUDENT ASSESSMENTS
As part of the transition to new standards, California will also implement a new testing system, called Smarter Balanced, which will evaluate student achievement in a more meaningful way by leveraging technology that tailors questions to responses.
The new standards and tests will:
- Reflect that California has raised the bar significantly regarding its expectations of all students;
- Promote students to think more deeply and critically about the content they learn in school across disciplines;
- Encourage educators to provide deeper learning opportunities for students;
- Measure student progress toward college-and-career readiness, enabling educators to diagnose any problems and intervene accordingly; and
- Test student achievement in a more meaningful way by leveraging technology that tailors questions to responses.
- Watch this great video created by students that explains the new Smarter Balanced Field Tests.
- Get more info from the California Department of Education (CDE). Children Now also offers great information about Common Core.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For more information about the new state standards and what they mean for students, teachers and schools, click here.
You can also view a detailed presentation from the California Department of Education.
- California Department of Education
Find detailed information about the new state standards including implementation and resources for teachers, administrators, the higher education community and parents.
- K-8 California's Common Core Standards Parent Handbook
This handbook, created by the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA) in consultation with the California State PTA, gives parents an introduction to California's CCSS and a summary of what students are expected to learn as they advance from kindergarten through grade eight.
- SMARTER Balanced Assessment Consortium Information
SMARTER Balanced tests will assess the full range of Common Core Standards in English language arts and mathematics for students in grades 3-8 and 11. It will measure current student achievement and growth over time, showing progress toward college and career readiness, and allowing for growth models.
ARTICLES OF INTEREST
- State Schools Chief announces new guidance for high school Common Core math materials
- Don't Politicize the Common Core State Standards!
- Common Core: 7 Recommendations for Effective Implementation
- Standards Backers Seek Out Support of Parents
- Values of the Common Core: Equity, Competition, and Collaboration
- It's time to stop distorting truth about Common Core