CALIFORNIA STATE PTA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Continuing Education Scholarships – School Nurses
*NEW DUE DATE* - October 15
Purpose – California State PTA offers scholarships ($500) to encourage PTA members to continue their education and pursue studies in higher education in California.
The Continuing Education Scholarship Program recognizes volunteer service by providing funds for PTA members to register for courses at accredited colleges, universities, trade or technical schools in the State.
These PTA Scholarships for School Nurses are available for Board-of-Registered-Nurses (BRN) to enroll in continuing education courses at approved institutions and/or providers, such as schools of nursing, hospitals, organized nursing groups and private providers that meet BRN requirements.
Eligibility – For the Continuing Education Scholarship for School Nurses, successful applicants meet the following criteria:
- Current member of PTA/ PTSA unit in good standing with school nursing contract for current year and assignment in, at least, one PTA school
- Licensed Registered Nurse employed in California public school during preceding academic year
- Minimum of three (3) years' nursing experience in California public schools
- Plan to continue as public school nurse
- Scholarship used for continuing education course at approved institutions and/or providers, such as schools of nursing, hospitals, organized nursing groups and private providers that meet BRN requirements.
- Scholarship utilized during the period January 1 to December 31 with courses completed by December 31 of year following award of scholarship
- Provide proof of enrollment and completion of coursework to California State PTA by June 1
- Completed application and reference forms with letters received by California State PTA by October 15.
Selection – Each year, the California State PTA Scholarship and Grant Committee carefully reads and vets each scholarship application. All applicants are notified of their status in January.
Continuing Education Scholarship winners receive a letter of congratulations and recognition certificate from California State PTA along with a check.
Application Tips – Before submitting your scholarship application packet to California State PTA, please remember to check that it includes:
- Completed application form and packet submitted by October 15.
- Copy of your current PTA membership card on 81/2" x 11" sheet of paper
- Descriptive essay (maximum 2 pages) outlining:
- Your current responsibilities
- How course(s) specified in the application will improve your effectiveness
- Your involvement in PTA or other volunteer work
- Two (2) completed reference forms and letters, written specifically for this application, which provide an evaluation of your abilities and characteristics as an applicant, comment on your personal and professional qualifications and discuss your PTA/ school/ student extracurricular activities
- First reference – Written by your current administrator, or representative
- Second reference – Written by current PTA president, or representative
Remember to ask that reference forms and letters be given to you in a sealed envelope for you to include in your scholarship application packet.
Questions? – Please contact the California Sate PTA Scholarship and Grant Chairman at: firstname.lastname@example.org