California State PTA
The communications manager manages the association's daily editorial and communications operations, including editing and writing a range of materials, working with the media, and initiating and implementing public relations, marketing and advocacy strategies. This position works in close consultation with the Executive Director, Vice-President for Communications and the President, and interacts with Board members, staff, partner agencies and the media.
$50,000 to $60,000
The essential functions of this position fall into several broad categories:
Writing and Editing
- Edits a wide variety of publications and materials, ensuring accuracy, consistency of tone, style and quality, and grammatical correctness.
- Writes articles, press releases, press statements, background papers, key messages, marketing materials and other materials.
- Assists in maintaining and updating the website, including writing articles, editing materials, and identifying innovative web content.
- Monitors communications procedures across the organization and recommends strategies to achieve consistency of quality and message.
Media and Public Relations
- Coordinates the approval and distribution of official press releases, press statements, talking points, key messages, emails, brochures, web content, marketing materials, and other documents that inform membership and promote the organization's positions and priorities.
- Maintains updated database of media contacts; ensures effective distribution to the media, members and public of California State PTA information.
- Assists in the coordination of media activities, including press conferences.
- Initiates and implements strategies to generate media coverage which enhances the organization's positive visibility, and advances the organization's positions and priorities.
- Coordinates responses to media inquiries by fielding incoming requests and routing reporters to spokespersons or resources, as appropriate.
- Assists in the implementation of advocacy strategies, including member mobilization on priority issues.
Marketing and Outreach
- Proactively identifies opportunities to promote the organization and its key priorities; recommends to the executive director and Communications Commission methods to strengthen overall effectiveness of the organization's communications activities, including developing and implementing strategies to:
- Promote the value of membership in the association;
- Communicate with multiple audiences, including non-native English-speakers.
- Utilize new technology to more effectively and efficiently achieve the association's goals.
- Strengthen two-way communications with members.
- A proactive individual with excellent editing and writing skills, and an ability to grasp complex policy issues and communicate them in a clear, understandable manner.
- Ability to work well with people. o Experience writing for various audiences, including experience writing press releases.
- Demonstrated achievements related to media relations, marketing, public relations and advocacy campaigns.
- Experience utilizing websites and/or social media for effective communications campaigns.
- Excellent proofreading, grammar and spelling abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience working with the media and with a membership organization.
- Experience interacting with and communicating with diverse populations
- Bachelors degree or higher.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED. PLEASE SUBMIT a one-page cover letter and resume to:
California State PTA
2327 L Street Sacramento, CA 95816